Tag

Gboyega Oyetola

Browsing

The Osun State Governor, Adegboyega Oyetola on Sunday issued a 72-hour ultimatum for looters who looted private and government properties.

Naijaparry News had earlier reported that suspected looters have looted government and private properties including private business premises and homes in several parts of the state on Saturday.

The Governor had declared another curfew on Saturday over the incident.

However, Governor Oyetola while speaking during the ‘On the spot assessment’ of affected properties across the state said he gave 72-hours period of amnesty for looters to return stolen property or FCE the full wrath of the law.

He stressed that those who perpetrated the act have the period of grace to return looted property to either the palace of monarchs within their domain or the Chairmen of their respective council areas.

He said what the state experienced is not stealing but armed robbery.

He said many of the properties that were stolen had serial numbers and engraved.

Details soon…

Governor Gboyega Oyetola has suspended the 24-hour curfew on the state as all activities are now allowed to return to normalcy.

Oyetola made this known, on Friday, in a press realease Signed by the Secretary to the State Government, SSG Prince Wole Oyebamiji and made available to newsmen.

Reacall the curfew was declared on Tuesday as a result of high tension in break of law and order which resulted to vandalization and looting by suspected hoodlums.

Accoding to the press release “After reviewing the situation of the last 48 hours and following the inauguration of the State’s Judicial Panel of Inquiry on Police Brutality, the Governor, Mr. Ggboyega Oyetola, hereby suspends the 24-hour curfew, effective from today, Friday, October 23, 2020 till further notice.

He commended residents and citizens of Osun for their show of understanding and cooperation in the last 48 hours of the curfew.

He also commended the protesting youths for displaying high sense of maturity in carrying out their protest.

The press release reads partly “The suspension is to allow members of the public approach the Panel to make their submissions and to go about their lawful businesses.

“However, Government will not hesitate to reinstate the curfew should the need arise.

“Government remains committed to the cause of our youths and the #EndSARS protesters and shall take every necessary step to ensure that their demands are met.

“Considering Government’s commitment and determination to meet the demands of the protesters, we appeal to the protesting youths to suspend their protest and engage Government in a dialogue.

“All citizens and residents are enjoined to be peaceful and to be law abiding as all efforts shall be made to protect them and their property.

“May God continue to bless and keep the State of Osun.”

The Commissioner of Police, Osun State Police Command, CP Undie Adie has condemned the violent attack on the person and convoy of the Osun State Governor, Gboyega Oyetola, while addressing EndSARS protesters.

The #EndSARS protest on Saturday afternoon turned bloody in Osogbo as hoodlums attacked Governor’s convoy and damaged several government vehicles.

Several yet to be identified people were severely wounded as many others scampered for safely.

Some victims have been rushed to Asubiaro state hospital for medical attention.

Before it was disrupted, Governor Gboyega Oyetola had assured the protesters that all those who sustained any form of injuries during #EndSARS protest will be taken care of by government.

The Governor who first apologised for not being able to address them since the protest started in the State assured the protesters that he believes in the genuine intention of the protest.

He told the protesters that the presidency has directed all state governors to constitute judicial panel of inquiry to look into the SARS activities before it was disbanded.

However, the Commissioner of police in a statement by the Osun State Police Public Relations Officer, SP Oplalola Yemisi on Saturday’s night, said that the protesters, infiltrated by hoodlums armed with dangerous weapons such as stones, clubs, cutlasses, guns, etc, attacked the Governor, entourage and vehicular convoy.

The CP added that the police escort attached to the Governor rescued him back to Government House at Oke-fia without harm.

He disclosed that two persons have died as a result of the pandemonium.

According to the statement, “The Commissioner of Police, Osun State Police Command, CP Undie Adie psc (+), has condemned in totality the violent attack on the person/convoy of the Governor of Osun State, His Excellency, ISIAKA Adegboyega Oyetola, while addressing EndSARS protesters.

“The protesters, infiltrated by hoodlums armed with dangerous weapons such as stones, clubs, cutlasses, guns, etc, attacked the Governor, entourage and vehicular convoy. The police escort attached to the Governor rescued the Governor back to Government House at Oke-fia without harm.

“Information at the disposal of the command indicates that two persons are reported to have died in the pandemonium.

“The Commissioner of Police appeals to members of the public to remain calm and law-abiding as efforts are ongoing to restore normalcy, please.”

In fulfilling the electoral promises to meet the infrastructural yelling of the people of Osun, the government of Osun has approved and awarded the reconstruction of 3.8km Ejigbo township roads for immediate reconstruction.

In a press release signed by the Honourable commissioner for Works and Transport, Engr. Oluremi Omowaiye. The Ejigbo township road project will start from Osogbo garage (Ejigbo) – Ejigbo central mosque-Popo- Ejigbo LGA secretariat- AUD Grammar school in Ejigbo.

Earlier in the years, the Oyetola administration awarded the reconstruction of 22km Barrack Junction, Ede – Ojo – Ara- Ejigbo which is 85% completed at the moment. The on going 22km Ede – Ejigbo is expected to be completed in 2weeks while the newly awarded Ejigbo Township road project will be completed within 90 days.

The honourable commissioner also said that the 1.87km Agba township road is expected to be completed before the ends of the year.

He then assured the residents of Osun that the Oyetola administration will continue to bridge the road infrastructural deficit across the state inspite of paucity of fund without compromising the standard and quality of materials at a very reasonable and minimal cost.

Osun State Governor, Gboyega Oyetola, has extended the current lockdown order in the State by 14days

Oyetola made this known today in a broadcast message to the people of the State.

He however gave a temporary lifting of the order between Wednesday, 15th and Thursday 16th to enable the people of the state restock food supplies.

Recall that the Osun State Government had on March 29 announced the total lockdown of the State following the confirmation of the second case of COVID-19, the lockdown came into effect midnight, Tuesday, March 31, 2020.

BROADCAST BY THE GOVERNOR OF THE STATE OF OSUN, MR. ADEGBOYEGA OYETOLA, ON THE IMPOSITION OF THE SECOND LOCKDOWN IN THE FIGHT AGAINST CORONAVIRUS OUTBREAK ON APRIL 14, 2020

My Dear Good People of the State of Osun,

You will all recall that, following the confirmation of the first case of Coronavirus in the State of on March 25, 2020 by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control, we ordered a partial lockdown on the State to contain the spread of the deadly virus. The second case was recorded three days later, while the partial lockdown was still on.

Then came the unexpected arrival of 127 returnees from Ivory Coast shortly after the second case. That sporadically shot the number of persons in isolation from two to 129, necessitating the imposition of a two-week sit-at-home order which came into effect midnight March 31, 2020 to contain the spread of the virus and keep our people safe.

The decision to impose a lockdown on the State was a painful one, but its outcomes have proven that we took the best decision as no new case was recorded during the two-week total lockdown period.

One of the two earlier cases has since been discharged after testing negative twice. Also, 110 out of the 127 Ivory Coast returnees tested negative and have been released while 10 out of the remaining 17 patients who tested positive for Coronavirus have tested negative twice and have been released to join their families. The remaining seven that tested positive, are receiving adequate treatment at our facility, in Ejigbo.

We owe all these achievements above to the good people of the State whose patience encouraged us to take extreme and decisive decisions during these perilous times. We thank you all for your support, patience and sacrifice during these difficult times.We urge you all to continue to obey the regulations to avert community transmission.

Sincere appreciation is due to our religious leaders, who like good shepherds, convinced their congregations to not only obey our regulations but also to support us with prayers. Our traditional rulers are our pillars of support and our direct channels to our people. They played a great role in ensuring huge compliance with the sit-at-home order.

We also thank our security operatives for their cooperation and support.

Our health workers who took the fight to our common enemy day and night to ensure that we are all safe are the heroes of the ongoing war against the virus. On behalf of the Government and people of the State of Osun, I thank them all for their stellar services to the State and her people.

Words are inadequate to thank the 21-man Food and Relief Committee for their efforts, and for accepting to serve on that committee.

My Dear Good People of The State of Osun, it is true that we have collectively kept our own bargain to win this war to this level. There can be no doubt that we have all sacrificed to get us where we are.

However, the application and implications of half measures are dangerous and grave at this critical period. The experience of the last few months is not one we would wish to repeat but it is better for us to deal with this deadly enemy once and for all. The circumstances of our situation do not support the suspension of lockdown at this period.

We are aware of the negative effects of lockdown on our fragile economy. But as a responsible government, we will not sacrifice the lives and security of our people on the altar of economy.

Consequently, in order to ensure a total defeat of coronavirus in Osun, we shall extend lockdown by another 14 days.

But to allow our people to re-stock, the lockdown is suspended between Wednesday, 15th and Thursday, 16th April, 2020. The second lockdown shall therefore commence on midnight of Thursday, April 16, 2020.

All markets and land boundaries remain closed during the suspension of the lockdown and the lockdown period. Also, the ban on all public gatherings remains in force.

Our citizens and residents are enjoined to continue to observe all precuationary measures during the suspension of the lockdown and within the lockdown period, including social distancing, washing of hands with soap or use of hand sanitisers.

We shall continue to provide palliatives for the poor, the needy and the vulnerable people in our State to cushion the effects of the sit-at-home order.

Let me take this opportunity to remind us all that the laws guiding the operation of this lockdown and the general security of the people are in force and the relevant security agencies are on alert to ensure total compliance and the safety and security of the people.

Like I noted during one of my press briefings, we must see ‘coronavirus as our common enemy; it poses a threat to our lives and livelihood. We put ourselves, our families and livelihood in jeopardy when we pander to ignorance and play politics with a life-snuffing virus.’

While we are making progress, a lot will still depend on our collective cooperation and compliance.

I thank you once again for your sacrifice and compliance. I count on our collective resolve to win this war against our common enemy.

May God accept our sacrifice as we all resolve to heal our land and keep it safe.

Thank you and God bless.

The Osun State Governor, Adegboyega Oyetola, on Sunday urged the Federal Government to assist the state to contain the spread of coronavirus, saying some of the samples that were already tested indicated high level of viral loads.

Oyetola said the samples suggested a strong capability to infect massively if necessary measures were not taken.

He said, “Considering our peculiar circumstance, there is the urgent need for the Federal Government to assist us in our efforts to contain the spread of the virus.

“Our call is predicated on the fact that some of the samples that were tested indicated high level of viral loads, suggesting a strong capability to infect massively if necessary measures are not taken.”

The governor noted that the current number of index cases that Osun had recorded was as a result of government’s responsiveness and proactive interception of what would have resulted in national distress.

On the restriction order, Oyetola said the initial 14 days lockdown might be extended unless there were indications that the situation was safe enough for people return to work.

He advocated one-month total lockdown of the country by the Federal Government to properly contain the spread of COVID-19, pointing out that the total lockdown of China for over one month assisted the country to stop the spread of the disease.

On the escape of some of the 127 Ivory Coast returnees that tested positive to coronavirus, Oyetola said those that left the isolation centre were forced back to the facility because their relations did not allow them into the houses.

Osun Guber Election: Supreme Court Upholds Oyetola’s Victory

The Supreme Court on Friday upheld the election of Gboyega Oyetola , the candidate of the All Progressives Congress ( APC) as the governor of Osun State .

Naijaparry gathered that the court affirmed Oyetola’s victory by five of the seven judges on the panel, leaving Adeleke with just two.

Justice Bode Rhodes-Vivour who read the lead majority judgment of the apex court held that the absence of Justice Peter Obiorah who later read the lead judgment of the tribunal during the February 6, 2019 hearing, had rendered the entire proceedings of the said tribunal and its judgment a nullity.

The Acting Chief Justice of Nigeria, Justice Tanko Muhammad, and three other members consented to the lead majority judgment.

But Justice Kumai Akaahs and Justice Paul Galinje affirmed PDP as the winner of the poll.

Recall that the Independent National Electoral Commission ( INEC) had declared Oyetola winner of the Osun governorship election after a controversial rerun in September 2018.

Dissatisfied with INEC’s declaration, Ademola Adeleke , the Peoples Democratic Party ( PDP ) candidate, filed a petition against at the tribunal.

The tribunal declared Adeleke winner of the election in March and Oyetola appealed the verdict of the tribunal.

In May, the appeal court gave judgement in favour of the APC candidate.

The court set aside the entire proceedings of the tribunal. It said the tribunal panel was not well constituted.

The Osun State Governorship Election Petitions Tribunal sitting in Abuja has declared Senator Ademola Adeleke of the People’s Democratic Party winner of the governorship election in the state.

It also declared as illegal the September 27, 2018 supplementary governorship election held in seven polling units as illegal.

The tribunal held that the supplementary election was a product of an illegal cancellation of the results in the seven polling units during the September 22, 2018 main election.

It ruled that the Returning Officer who cancelled the results had no power to do so.

The Peoples Democratic Party and its governorship candidate, Ademola Adeleke, in the election had filed the petition urging the tribunal to declare that Adeleke polled the highest lawful votes and be declared the winner.

The returning officer ought not to have cancelled the result from 7 polling unit.

The chairman of the Tribunal held that the certificate of return issued to Adegboyega Oyetola is hereby withdrawn.

Rauf Aregbesola , the Governor of Osun State, while reacting to the forth coming governorship election in the state, described Gboyega Oyetola, who is the governorship candidate of the All Progressives Congress in the state as the best candidate to succeed him.

The Governor stated this in a statement, on Wednesday, the statement was made available by the Director of Publicity, Research and Strategy of the APC in Osun State.

While speaking in Ile-Ife, on his visit to the Ooni of Ife, Oba Adeyeye Ogunwusi , Aregbesola, on the commencement of the governorship campaign of Oyetola, stated that he (Oyetola) was well equipped with knowledge of governance and the experience needed to rule the people of the state.

Aregbesola said, “Oyetola has justified his capacity and capability as a man of impeccable character and worthwhile personality who remains dogged and forthright to all policies that had impacted positively the lives of the citizens.

“We are not in doubt about Oyetola’s competence and ability. He is calm and much more reserved. He knows the job and he will serve our people. He will advance the development programme of our party .”

The APC governorship candidate, stated that his administration would take the welfare of the people and the traditional rulers with importance and would advance traditional institution, culture and tourism.

Oyetola identified road infrastructure, education development, skill, technical and vocational education, health sector advancement, agricultural development among others as the continuation of Aregbesola’s legacies.

The Ooni of Ife, commended the administration of the Governor for his development programmes and the peaceful transition to the kingship stools in the state.