The Delta State Ministry of Health and a COVID-19 patient are trading words over the admission of the latter for treatment.
While the Ministry expressed displeasure over the uncooperative stance of Mr. Michael Nwachukwu Mordi, a 53-year-old Chief Nursing Officer at the Central Hospital, Agbor, who tested positive for COVID-19 on May 23, and was admitted to the COVID-19 Treatment Centre, Federal Medical Center, Asaba on May 24, Mr. Mordi maintains he is not suffering from COVID-19.
In a statement issued in Asaba, Delta State Commissioner for Health, Dr. Mordi Ononye, said since the admission of Mordi, he had been very aggressive and continually threatened the caregivers, while refusing to take his medication.
Dr. Mordi revealed that at 6 pm on June 1, against medical advice, Mr. Mordi consented to his being forcefully removed from the treatment centre by seven men who claimed to be his relatives, even without the necessary protective coverings.
He stated that the men only succeeded in exposing themselves to danger and posed a serious health risk to the society, particularly the communities with which they came in contact.
Dr. Mordi alerted members of the public about the health risk of associating with the patient and with those who had exposed themselves to him.
He strongly advised that the said patient be returned to the treatment center for proper care, while those already exposed to him should immediately go into supervised self– isolation for 14 days.